Friday, March 14, 2008

Wicked isn't so wicked.


Radford's Spring Break was this past week (March 7th through March 16th). For spring break I went to Southampton and then New York City with four girls from Radford (Clare, Kate, Margy and Beth). While we were in the city we all watched different plays. Beth and I were fortunate enough to watch "Wicked," on Wednesday afternoon.

The story of "Wicked" is the untold story of the witches of the Wizard of Oz. Elphaba, the "Wicked Witch of the West," from the Wizard of Oz is born green, which makes her different than all the other characters of Oz. When Elphaba goes to school she is offered the opportunity to possibly meet "The Wizard." Her heart is so filled with joy, she responds with this song:

"Once I'm with the Wizard
My whole life will change
'Cuz once you're with the Wizard
No one thinks you're strange!
No father is not proud of you,
No sister acts ashamed
And all of Oz has to love you
When by the Wizard, you're acclaimed
And this gift or this curse
I have inside
Maybe at last, I'll know why
When we are hand and hand -
The Wizard and I!"
And one day, he'll say to me, "Elphaba,
A girl who is so superior,
Shouldn't a girl who's so good inside
Have a matching exterior?
And since folks here to an absurd degree
Seem fixated on your verdigris.
Would it be all right by you
If I de-greenify you?"

When I heard that song, I was thinking how that's the longing of my heart too. To be loved and accepted just the way I am. Oh, the freedom, to be me and be loved by the most lovable, most respected, most important Person! I think it felt so real to me because it is real to me and Jesus put that desire in all of our hearts not so that we have that desire there and that's it. He put that desire there for the same reason He gave us hunger and thirst. He put that desire there to fill it with Himself!! He is our "Wizard," the One who loves us for us and frees us to be fully us!

This is a picture of all of us in the Hamptons.
Left to Right: Beth, Clare, Me, Margy and Kate.

1 comment:

Justine said...

I'm so jealous you got to see Wicked! That is one of my favorite books! Was it amazing? I would have loved to see it when it first was on Broadway-the one with Kristen Chenowith. Anyway, hope you are doing well!